Saturday, February 20, 2016

Medieval Marriage

In class, we have not yet talked too much about marriage in medieval times. While configuring a topic I came across something I found interesting. Back in the times of medieval if people wanted to get married all they had to do was stand in front of the churchyard gates and confess their undying love for one another. Then boom they were married congrats!  I found this topic interesting mostly because I will be married soon. Also looking at the time period, I only assumed that marriages had to be done in a church. According to this research, I found I was wrong. They are not to be married in a church. They have it in front of the church. Being able to have weddings other places is more like today. We have places not only in churches but pretty much any place as long as we have witnesses and a reverend attending.


 medieval wedding

 http://www.medievalfayre.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=81

Although many similarities in today’s marriages there are also differences. One major difference from today to the medieval times is that girls did not really have a choice in the person they married. They usually did not even know the person they were marring. It seemed to be more acceptable for the men to be able to pick their brides. I found this interesting because it made me think about gender roles. Why is it alright for the men to be able to pick and choose the person they want to marry? As a person that is engaged this made me think about my life right now and if I could not have a say in the person I would want to marry. Instantly it made me sad. It just shows the true gender separation at this time. It was like girls did not matter as much or were maybe not smart. It made it seem as if girls were only around to make kids and be a mother. Apparently parents arranged marriages for their children. If my parents were arranging my marriage I would only hope they knew me well enough to fulfill my true happiness and future. How many people would like for their parents to pick their partner? I think if people had a close relationship with their parents then that might be easier. I am excited to hear back from you! 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! The more we talk about The Middle Ages, mainly women, it makes me thankful for when I was born. I couldn't imagine living the lives these women did and were forced to get married to men that they did not choose. Also, the marriage ceremony seems pretty simple, quick, and too the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lexie it is crazy to me how simple and fast the process of marriage is for them. Alsoit makes me be be great fun to be able to choose who I want to marry.

      Delete
  2. This is a very interesting subject. I never think about how marriage has changed over the years. I would hate it if my parents had to choose my husband. I guess it would almost be essential that you would have a good relationship with your parents, or they could pick a terrible person for you to marry. Question: Was there any exchanging of money when people were married? Did the groom have to pay money for the bride? I do not know if that exists within this culture. Altogether, this is a cool subject!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting subject. I never think about how marriage has changed over the years. I would hate it if my parents had to choose my husband. I guess it would almost be essential that you would have a good relationship with your parents, or they could pick a terrible person for you to marry. Question: Was there any exchanging of money when people were married? Did the groom have to pay money for the bride? I do not know if that exists within this culture. Altogether, this is a cool subject!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I couldn't imagine being a happy wife to someone I was matched up with because of money or family ties. The way marriage worked back then makes it seem like women are only meant to be traded to a man to be their wife and that's it. They are forced to marry someone who they may not love and care for him and the family the rest of her life. I am so happy that I didn't live during this time because I am not sure how happy I would have been if I was sent off to an arranged marriage to someone I didn't know or love.

    ReplyDelete