Saturday, February 6, 2016

Reaction to Exodus

This is a late blog post, I have been at my dance competition all day so I am sorry. I have also been trying to figure out this whole blog post thing, I have never done this before but it reminds me of how blackboard discussion board posts work. The Exodus reading was interesting to me. This reading made me think about the "Church" or Bible version of Exodus.  

When I started to read Exodus I soon realized it was a lot different than the stories I had grown up with. I have been a member of a Non Denominational Church from the age of 7-21. I have grown up learning about God and the Bible for years. This reading for me was actually hard for me to read. I like many had to re read it to make sure I actually understood it. As we have been discussing the Anglo Saxon culture and after reading Exodus I took notes on what confused me and/or interested me the most.

To begin, I found interesting that in this reading God was a war like God. I find this interesting because growing up I mostly grew up only thinking about the way God is more of a healer and a powerful God that people looked up too. Having him be a war like God made me think about Faith. I do not know why but it made me think about how it was more of a black and white moment where they either have faith or do not. If they did not have faith then basically bad things would happen to them. Does that happen today? Does God punish his followers more than the people that do not follow him? These are some question that went through my head. Let me know what you guys think about those questions.  

Last, the concept of the Anglo Saxon wanting to be the Israelite's made me think about God's chosen people. The Israelite's are Gods chosen people and the Anglo Saxon people were trying to make their own version of Christianity and be whatever they wanted. For example if they killed someone they would say God made them do it so it makes it just.  What about forgiveness? would the Anglo Saxon people be forgiven for their sins like the Israelite's, or would God be like you are not my chosen people so I do not forgive you for those wrongs  you have done? Just some more questions I had but never asked in class. I am excited to read your responses. Have a nice night!    
    

1 comment:

  1. Mikaila,

    I hope you did well at your dance competition! I know how long those take since I am now a dance coach so I understand when you said it took all day because it literally does!

    I also thought about church when I was reading Exodus, but the text also included a lot of aspects that are different from the stories that I have read. Like you mentioned their God seemed more war like and I believe that is because in the Anglo Saxon culture they believed that being a warrior led you to fame. This is very different from what I have studied because like you said I have also believed that God is the opposite of war like.

    ReplyDelete