Sunday, February 7, 2016

Where It All Started

After looking up some things about the Middle Ages I found something that I thought was very interesting. What I found said that the Middle Ages invented experimental science, it all stared with Aristotle. The change did not happen until the later of the middle ages, this is where people began to see an advance in scientific philosophy and an improvement to the scientific method. Although there was a time that was seen as the Dark Ages, there were still things happening at this time. The reason that they called it the Dark Ages was because there was not much of the history written down. Even though things were not written down there were still people pushing for education, with this education would come the growth of the people studying it. Studying these things helped the people of this age pave the way for the later generations of scholars to also understand new things the world would bring. Another fact about the people that were discovering all this information is that they were not all just from one specific society. It said that there were people coming from many different places to translate the things that were being discovered, not only did they want to learn about it they also were testing it out for themselves. I think this is really interesting because I never really think about people discovering new ideas and making a difference in the middle ages. I think about people being stuck in certain classes and not straying to far from that path.

http://www.historyextra.com/feature/medieval/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-middle-ages

https://explorable.com/middle-ages-science

4 comments:

  1. I, like you, never really thought about people making advancements in the Dark Ages. I found this post interesting because of that and the fact that they did experiments. It's hard to remember that just because someone didn't take notes, doesn't mean they are advancing. I found it interesting that people from different societies were contributing and not just getting a hold of information and trying it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I was reading all this information I was surprised with all that was being accomplished. But I did think that it was an interesting fact that I did not already know about the Medieval Time Period.

      Delete
  2. Callan,
    Interesting topic choice. I found it intriguing that the Middle Ages had science and somewhat education. I can believe it because, although no one wrote anything down, there was still word of mouth. That is also a way of educating, the downfall of that is information getting changed every time the story is told. Nice and new information about the Middle Ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexie,
      Thanks, it was something that I didn't know if we would actually talk about in class or not so what a good place to discuss it in the blog. But yea you would think with science and technology they would write things down sooner so that they could stay consistent about what they were discovering.

      Delete