Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Endless Knowledge and Endless Thanks

Hello Everyone!

This semester has been a whirlwind, it seems like yesterday we were reading the blickling homilies. I will admit I was rather illiterate in medieval literature at the beginning of the semester; by no means do I consider myself an expert but I do believe if the time comes when I am standing face-to-face with a scholar of medieval literature I may be able to hold my own. We may not have had to memorize anything in this class, but I am prepared to astound a dinner party with my oration of the first 18 lines of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (thanks Dr. Mann). 

If I take anything away from this class it is that the Middle Ages were a vast period of time that is oftentimes overlooked. Individuals who lived during the middle ages are unseen for their contributions to literature or art or science. They are often overshadowed by the enlightenment and the renaissance. We should praise the individuals of the past for their contributions to culture, because trust me they contributed. 

The issues of the past are relevant today. For example, the use of violence throughout the different medieval texts. The same glorification of violence reigns true today. We are surrounded by violence in the news, in movies, in music: we are gradually being desensitized to it and yet this is nothing new it is a societal malady that has always existed. 

I would like to thank Dr. Mann for sharing her knowledge with us and encouraging us to open our minds and to analyze everything. Thank you for bringing enthusiasm to even the most difficult texts.

Thank you to my fellow classmates. I have so enjoyed getting to know you. You all are interesting, kind, genuine, and bright individuals. I have no doubt that your futures will be filled with abundant blessings and successes.

Goodbye dear friends, may the fourth be with you . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment