Monday, May 2, 2016

What I've Learned

Over the course of the last 16 weeks I have learned a lot of interesting aspects to Medieval Literature. I had an idea that I would be reading stories about knights in shining armor who come to women's rescue, but I didn't realize how many texts dealt with religion. Religion was a huge part of these author's lives and I wasn't expecting to be reading a whole lot about religion. I am not a very religious person so this concept was not only surprising to me, but I learned a lot of new concepts in regards to religion. I never thought I would get so annoyed by a saint like I did with Margery.

I also liked how we looked at stories from different theoretical perspectives. I especially liked how we deconstructed Beowulf from an environmental point of view. As I read the story I thought well if these monsters are killing men then sure Beowulf has a right to protect these people, but I didn't take into account that maybe these men were in their space and their noise invaded Grendel and his mother's privacy, which means the monsters had ever right to strike back at them. 

I also enjoyed learning about the Anglo Saxon culture because I believe it helped explain how these texts were written. We are usually seeing a male character who is honored with fame and riches for his excellent battle skills. What makes a man "a man" is how he shows it on the battle field and in return he will receive glory, honor, women, and treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment