Thursday, April 21, 2016

Arthurian Dystopian Story?

Greetings!

This post is going to be a little out there but bear with me. Part of the Arthur legend is that he will return when England needs him so I kept thinking about Arthur returning to a post-apocalyptic England. I don't know exactly how England would get into a situation where Arthur would just reappear but I do think it would be funny if Avalon just opened up and dropped Arthur (and maybe Lanval) right in the middle of Harrods.

Again, I do not have much details on this interesting story idea. Mainly because my brain just likes to skips to the parts it thinks would be most interesting. So there would have to be some way that Arthur hooks up with a group of people trying to save England but he is so confused as to if it really is still England that he kind of does not believe them.

I also really want him to start off by speaking his version of the English language and then have to switch to the modern version. This switch would come with a line something along the lines of, "This language feels weird in my mouth. Are you sure this is English?"

It's highly unlikely I would ever use this idea, so if anyone of you wants it have at it! I would love to see what could be done with this.


4 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I love this idea! It's so out there and a little weird, but then again Arthur was also weird. I find it hilarious to think of this scenario. Then again an apocalypse would be an intense battle and I think Arthur would be perfect for the job. Very interesting and brought the ideas and reading from class to topics that are often talked about in today's era!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It is strange, but what I kept thinking about is if he was supposed to return to England when England needed him then what exactly would the country look like? It had to be chaos because (almost?) all of his stories are about restoring order.

      Delete
  2. Okay so bouncing off the fact that we're both in HEL, I found it super interesting to have Arthur's English get upgraded. This would probably make a better dystopian story than some that are out there lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I had a lot of fun reading your post! While I was reading your post so many different thoughts popped into my head in regards to what would Arthur do or think about our modern day society. Going along with Sara's comment I think King Arthur would be so confused while trying to speak present day English! It's a very interesting topic and who isn't curious as to when King Arthur is going to show up and save England. I also agree that it would be nice if Lanval was included in his return!

    ReplyDelete