Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Divine Proportion

Here is a question for you, fellow medieval bloggers, when you read a text do you ever look for patterns? Common numbers, images, colors, symbols?

When we read Cleanness, did you notice anything peculiar about the way the text was set up? I know a handful of us were confused by the speaker of the first part  and how within one text there were stories within stories, which were all connected by a common theme.

In the article, Importance of Medieval Numerology and the Effects Upon Meaning in the Works of the Gawain- Poet, Cusimano explores the possible patterns of certain medieval works including Cleanness. Cusimano states that the text follows a common homiletic tradition which is the division of subject into three parts and unified by a common theme.

Cusimano also explains that this structure directly reflects the concept of the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all within one divine creator. Three parts to a whole. (The Divine Proportion)

In Cleanness, we have the story of the flood, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, and Belshazzar. In each story we are shown how God deals with sin or uncleanness. These stories may all be different, however, they are unified with the common theme of the ways individuals can be spiritually unclean, much of which is evidenced through their actions.

By seeking out the possible patterns of a text you are actively pursuing much more than just the gist of the text. You will begin questioning why the text was written this way or that way, a curiosity will grow, and you will find yourself with opinions and beliefs that stretch far beyond, "eh I liked it."

Cusimano's article opened my eyes to literary numerology which answered questions I really wasn't aware I had, I can say for certain that in the future my mind will be more attune to the possible patterns within literary works.

If you would like to read the full article you can follow the link here: http://scholarworks.uno.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2203&context=td

8 comments:

  1. Kinzi,
    This article is very helpful. I will begin to start looking for these patterns in order to make more sense of our texts. After reading your blog post it helped make Cleanness more clear and not so confusing. Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lexie! I love finding new ways to view things! I feel like by only reading a text there is a lot we miss out on, patterns are just one way we can extract much more from a text. I am glad this helped/added to your understanding of the reading.

      Delete
    2. Agreed! I love anything and everything that can help me pull out "hidden" messages throughout texts.

      Delete
  2. Okay so I was not expecting this kind of Russian doll situation. Although, now that you point it out, it makes sense. I am interested to know a little bit more about literary numerology that you found interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, it is all over the place. I notice patterns but not to the extent of the article. A lot of the article was new information to me.

      Delete
  3. Kinzi,

    In my American Literature class we discussed the importance of numerology in Native American stories and your post reminded me how these small patterns can help further our knowledge about a text. One of the sacred numbers we looked at in Native American texts was four, but it was represented in different ways. Sometimes we would see four spirits or four animals present, but regardless we would see a particular umber reappear in the text.

    I believe it does help the reader understand the reading and look at it in a new way. In the case of the Native American readings I did, it helped me get more background knowledge on the culture and the literature that was being written at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! Was the number four significant to the Native Americans because of the four cardinal directions?

      Delete
    2. Brittany, as a fellow member of your American Literature class, I was going to say something similar. Piggy back if you will. Unification seams to play a part in American literature and Medieval literature. The use of numbers is something I am always interested in. It makes me very happy to hear that it's okay that I'm reading this closely and numbers do play a role in some texts.

      Delete