Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Views and Values of Knights throughout Morte d'Arthur

For this blog post I decided to get a scholarly article about the Knighthood throughout our most recent readings, Morte d'Arthur. The author of this post, Robert Kelly, describes the different points of view, from others, about knighthood and the 3 values of knighthood. Kelly states that there are three very different points of views of Knights during this time. "for the exercise of arms, as the ethical code of a governing class, and as an 'order' or vocation to the priests" (106). These views were all throughout the eras of Knights, all throughout the 15th century, and were a result of different situations that were happening. The author also stated different values of knighthood. "The Heroic Knight, who embodies the values of the 'first Christian Warriors', the Worshipful Knight, who embodies 'the more secular values of late medieval feudalism', and the True Knight, who embodies the 'values of the Christian feudalism of the High Middle Ages'"(106). 

My question for you, is that while seeing the descriptions of the Knights which do you believe the Knights, such as Gawain, Tristram, Lancelot, and the other Knights are perceived as? 

My reaction to this article, is it was very interlude risk and also helped myself with the reading while referring to the Knights. It also took me back to the reading of Sir Gowther, when he was the 3 different colors as being described as the 3 values of Knights. The black as being the Heroic Knight. The red as being the Worshipful knight and the white as being the True knight. Especially the while knight because know he was in his truest and newest form, for now he was pure. 

Kelly, Robert L. "Knighthood in the Morte                    
    d'Arthur." South Atlantic Modern      
    Language Association 53.3 (1988): 
    105-08. Print. 

4 comments:

  1. Lexie,

    I like that you related this text back to Sir Gowther because that was my exact reaction when I read the explanation of the knights from Kelly's article. In regards to your question I believe that the True Knight in the Arthur story is Lancelot. I think its because Arthur talks so highly of him (even though he is sleeping with his wife). Lancelot is portrayed as good looking, loyal, and the knightliest of the knights.

    I think that Sir Gawain would be the Worshipful knight because he is fiercely loyal to King Arthur, which makes me believe that he could worship him as a God like figure.

    As for the Heroic knight I would go with Lancelot on this one. He is constantly fighting Sir Gawain because he must avenge his brother who was killed by Lancelot and Lancelot is constantly kicking his ass, but he lets him go the first time he fights him. People may see this as a heroic gesture or him being a coward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,

    I totally agree with your views on each knight throughout the text. Lancelot would definitely be seen as the Heroic and True Knight while Garwain as the Worshipful knight, as he worships Arthur and highly looks up to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lex, I have been sitting here for awhile trying to figure out how I would classify Tristan. I am leaning toward worshipful because perhaps he has more secular values than christian ones. One of my favorite parts in the Morte de Arthur, is when Tristan was considered someone whose mistakes you would want to learn from rather than emulate. I think it was in respect to Lancelot's love for Guinevere not ending up like the doomed affair of Tristan and Iseult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinzi,
    I would definitely have to agree with your hero definition of Tristan, I think he would also be considered as the worshipful knight.

    ReplyDelete